Thursday, May 14, 2020

Throwback Thursday - Cricut "Wizard Spells" Layout

WELCOME FELLOW PAPERCRAFTERS! 


Today I am again featuring Guest Designer Ginni Candelaria.  Ginni is a fellow Close To My Heart (CTMH) consultant who designers layouts using Cricut cut files and CTMH paper packets.  To continue my progress, I wanted to do another Harry Potter themed layout called "Spells".  

Similar to the first 2 layouts of Ginni's workshop, I knew I had to make this layout from the first time I saw it.  The layout brought back memories of the second time we experienced Harry Potter land at Universal.  Sometime between 2010 and 2015 Universal had changed up they attractions and wands to add in IR technology.  Now you could buy a wand and walk around Harry Potter land casting spells which would do things like dump a pot of water on someone's head.  Of course we had to get a magic wand and give our spell casting a try.  The thought of walking around casting spells with my daughter makes me smile. "Hermioine" (aka my daughter) was very good with the wand and demonstrated for more than one child who was having problems casting the proper spell.

Back to the layout. I didn't have the patterned papers Ginni used to create the layout so I went into the way back machine, i.e. spend an hour digging around in my craft room. I found some very old patterned paper from Close To My Heart called B&T (Background and Texture) paper.  I was pretty happy with what I came up with.

Ginni had used a New England Ivy (green) patterned paper on her layout.  I had a similar New England Ivy (green) patterned paper.  Ginni used Sapphire (blue) patterned paper on her layout.  I used a totally different blue patterned paper on my layout.  I also substituted Ruby for pomegranate.  

This brings me to my first tip for stash busting.  Organize your paper.  I used to keep all of my cardstock with the paper packet of matching patterned paper.  I felt like it took me a long time to fins anything this way.  Now I keep my paper in an IKEA shelf system organized like a rainbow.  I  
keep all of my cardstock together (current and retired) so if I need blue, I can qucikly find the right blue.  

I have a similar approach for generic patterned papers that can be used as backgrounds so I can quickly find what I need.day.  


My other happy find during my trip in the way back machine was vellum. I think it might be leftover from making baby showers invites in the early 2000s? Anyway, I organize my scraps into Ziploc bags of neutrals, red/orange/yellow, and purple/blue/green.  This helps me quickly find scraps.  The vellum was tucked away with the neutral scraps.  I happened across it while looking for scraps of white to use when cutting the bubbles.  I used the vellum instead as I felt it gave a more bubble like feel.  Keeping my paper and paper scraps organized helps me quickly find what I need to make the Cricut cuts and move on to putting the layout together. 

My last tip has to do with organizing your bling.  I keep all my bling instead the small CTMH organizer.  This organizer sits in the top shelf of my craft cart making it easy for my to reach in and grab out a pack of dots or sequins or whatever I need to put the finishing touches on any layout I am working on. 

Feels good to have used some supplies I had been holding on to for a while.

Tomorrow I hope to finish the final 2 layouts in the GInni Harry Potter workshop, but first I have to pick the pictures for the layouts as I am thinking I might have to mix up the colors of the base pages or Cricut cuts to better match the pictures.  Wish me luck.


Stay well and Happy crafting!!
TINA Stanczak
Facebook |     Emptynest   Scrapin   (private group for project instructions)


No comments:

Post a Comment